Our Enter & View programme involves visiting publicly funded health and social care services in Sheffield to talk to service users, their relatives and carers, as well as staff. Visits are carried out by our Enter & View volunteers.
Enter & View is different to an inspection - we focus on what it is like for people receiving care. Visiting places where people actually receive care is a powerful way for us to hear directly from individuals about their experiences of services.
- We saw warm and friendly interactions between residents and staff members, and residents praised staff attitude.
- The ‘street theme’ decoration of corridors is a creative, dementia-friendly way of helping residents to find their rooms, however we did not see signs to point residents to communal areas.
- The menus on display in both dining rooms were headed with the wrong season and year, which may be confusing for residents.
- Two residents are members of the home’s Care Home Committee, which enables them to have a say in the running of the home.
- A relative said they were not aware of residents and relatives’ meetings, despite a staff member saying families are encouraged to attend.