Our #SpeakUp small grants scheme awards funding to local community, voluntary, or not-for-profit groups, enabling them to engage with their communities about what matters to them.
A Review of Home Care - The African Caribbean Perspective
SACMHA wanted to ensure that local African Caribbean voices were heard as part of Sheffield's work to improve home care services. They spoke to people who used home care, their families and carers, as well as African Caribbean social care professionals about their experiences.
The report contains detailed experiences and perspectives, which shaped our recommendations to those who design, commission, and deliver home care services. The recommendations relate to:
- Raising standards in the care sector
- Recruitment, and increasing the diversity of the workforce
- Delivering client focussed and culturally appropriate care
- Monitoring of care providers, transparency around commissioning
- Support around accessing personalised care such as direct payments
- Developing understanding and support around the costs of care
- Culturally appropriate advocacy
To read in detail about people's experiences, and the recommendations we've made for improvement, read the report below.