We received 32 applications to our recent Speak Up Small Grants round that closed on 31st January 2018. A panel including members of the Healthwatch Sheffield engagement team and volunteers assessed them and awarded grants to 13 groups.
The successful groups and a summary of the proprosed projects are listed below. The projects will be carried out by the end of May 2018 and reported on by the end of June 2018.
The Burton Street Foundation, 'Learning Disability Voices project'
- Holding a Forum Week focusing on the experiences of clients with learning disabilities and how they access health and social care.
- Funding to cover equipment and staff time.
The City of Sanctuary, 'Health at the Sanctuary project'
- Holding an event focusing on the health needs and experiences of asylum seekers and refugees in Sheffield – focusing on statutory health and social care services e.g. NHS .
- Funding for venue hire, catering and volunteer training and expenses.
Darnall Community Development Centre, ‘Young men #SpeakUp about men’s health’
- Run a series of workshops with young men from Darnall to discuss their views of accessing local health services including mental health services.
- Catering, facilitation costs and resources.
DAWS Community Gym, ‘Ampu Tea and Chat’ project
- 2 x sessions for the provision of wheelchair services both hospital and GP and outside contract maintenance.
- 2 x sessions for referral and approval of prosthetic limbs.
- 2 x sessions for people with long term health conditions managed by GP practice availability and provision and collection of prescriptions from local pharmacy.
- Room hire, catering, publicity, transport.
Disability Sheffield Centre for Independent Living, ‘Disability Hub Action Group Measuring Independence and Social Care’ project
- Support a Health and Social Care Action Group research independence support through adult social care.
- Room hire, catering, planning.
Foxhill Forum, 'Foxhill Speaks Up' project
- Deliver a programme of engagement events and community get togethers providing local residents with a comfortable and relaxed environment in which to feed back about their views and experiences of health and social care.
- Activity sessions, publicity, refreshments.
Park Community Action, ‘PCA Health Consultation’ project
- Hold Health Consultation events to gather feedback about people’s experiences of health and social care services in Sheffield, as well as Park Community Action’s services.
- Staff and publicity costs for the events.
Sheffield Chinese Community Centre, ‘Chinese Voice’ project
- Aiming to engage 100 Chinese members across the city to express their experiences and views of local health and social care services through workshops, completing questionnaires and focus group discussion.
- Sessional worker, publicity, catering.
STAMP (facilitated by Chilypep), STAMP (Support, Think, Act, Motivate, Participate) project
- Helping young people to #SpeakUp about their needs and wants in relation to mental health – their experiences, what they want from services and how these could be improved to better meet their needs.
- Room hire, consultation materials, refreshments.
Survivors of Depression in Transit (SODIT) ‘Sheffield Mental Health Challenge Day’ project
- Understand the key experiences people have in accessing mental health and related services.
- Venue hire, publicity, report writing.
The Link Community, ‘Better Care Better Health’
- Gather various view from local people on their healthcare experiences including hospitals, GP practices, care providers, dentists etc.
- Project builder, DVDs, room hire.
ShipShape, 'Voicing the Voices of our Community'
- Deliver peer support groups with people from underrepresented groups such as BME communities, individuals who have been facing domestic abuse (male and female groups), Men from the Somali community with mental health issues.
- Room hire, refreshments, publicity and engagement activities.
Zest, 'Your Voice, Your Health'
- We will host a series of consultation events with BME women within the areas of Upperthorpe, Netherthorpe, Langsett and Burngreave to gather their feedback on engaging with GPs and mental health services.
- Graphic recorder, room hire, refreshments and staffing.