Help making a complaint - adult social care

We know making a complaint about the care you've received can be daunting. We've put together some advice for complaining about adult social care in Sheffield.

Where to start

For many people, the first step to making a complaint is taking some time to think about what went wrong, what the service could have done better, and what you'd like to happen as a result of your complaint. This will help you to make the complaint as well as helping the service to address your concerns. You normally have 12 months after an incident to make a complaint.

It can help to put together any documents relating to the problem so that you are able to talk about these during the complaints process. You may also want to gather other information to help you prepare for your complaint - such as reading the complaints policy to help you know what to expect.

Detailed guidance

Healthwatch has worked with Citizens Advice to put together detailed guidance on how to make a complaint about adult social care. Find out more here.

Where to complain

Most Adult Social Care in Sheffield (care at home, residential/nursing homes, personal budgets etc) is commissioned by Sheffield City Council.

Contact them:

0114 273 4567

Online enquiry form

Talk to us

Want to talk through your experience or ask us more about making a complaint?

We're here to listen.

Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information