Our #SpeakUp small grants scheme awards funding to local community, voluntary, or not-for-profit groups, enabling them to engage with their communities about what matters to them.
Saalik Youth Project: Speaking to young people and parents about the Covid-19 pandemic
Young people who were part of the Saalik Youth Project wanted to explore health & wellbeing issues within their wider community, and were awarded a #SpeakUp grant for this purpose. They designed two surveys – one for young people and one for parents. They wanted to understand:
- What issues the community was facing during the Covid-19 pandemic?
- What support the community needs?
What did they find?
They explored the positives that lockdown had brought for families, as well as worries about health, school, and wider support. They also explored the activities, workshops, and support that people in the community would like to access.
How can support be improved?
The report makes 5 recommendations to organisations seeking to support or work with the communities that Saalik Youth Project spoke to. These recommendations address:
- Making sure support or activities are targeted and culturally-competent
- Recognising the lack of trust that some communities have in statutory organisations and taking steps to address this
- Supporting young people to support each other and their communities
To read in detail about people's experiences, and the recommendations we've made for improvement, read the report below.