Our #SpeakUp small grants scheme awards funding to local community, voluntary, or not-for-profit groups, enabling them to engage with their communities about what matters to them.
Recommendations from the report
Sheffield City Council/local NHS Trusts to consider:
- Exploring new communications platforms such as Wechat and Weibo to share information in the same way that they do Facebook and Twitter, which are less widely used in the Chinese community.
- Working with or supporting organisations that have been identified by the Chinese community as trusted sources of information (such as the Sheffield Chinese Community Centre or Sheffield Chinese Students and Scholars Association) to ensure wider spread of factual and accessible information.
- Whether current advice and information (articles, posters, videos etc) is easily accessible by those in the Chinese community. For example, we know that the Council is sharing regular updates and information, but it appears that some people haven’t been able to access this information. Perhaps it are not being distributed through the channels that some people would prefer to access.
- Translating some advice and information into community languages.
- Planning how to support Sheffield’s diverse communities to return to normal living, especially where existing inequalities have had bigger consequences for certain groups.