Help making a complaint - health services

We know making a complaint about the care you've received can be daunting. We've put together some advice for complaining about NHS and health services in Sheffield.
Visually impaired man standing outside

Where to start

For many people, the first step to making a complaint is taking some time to think about what went wrong, what the service could have done better, and what you'd like to happen as a result of your complaint. This will help you to make the complaint as well as helping the service to address your concerns. You normally have 12 months after an incident to make a complaint.

It can help to put together any documents relating to the problem so that you are able to talk about these during the complaints process. This could include accessing your medical records. You may also want to gather other information to help you prepare for your complaint - such as reading the complaints policy from the organisation to help you know what to expect.

Detailed guidance

Healthwatch has worked with Citizens Advice to put together detailed guidance on how to make a complaint about a health service. Find out more here.

Contact details

Once you've decided to make a complaint, you need to know who to send it to. This will depend on who commissioned or provided the care.

If you received care in hospital (e.g. Northern General Hospital):

If your care was provided by Sheffield Health and Social Care Trust (e.g. most mental health, learning disability, and substance misuse services in the city):

If your care relates to children's services (e.g. Sheffield Children's Hospital, Ryegate Centre):

If your care was provided by a GP, dentist, or pharmacist:

Do you need support making a complaint?

Sheffield Advocacy Hub can provide information on the complaints process, and if necessary, support you to make your complaint.

Their support is free, confidential and independent of the NHS.Sheffield Advocacy Hub

Talk to us

Want to talk through your experience or ask us more about making a complaint?

We're here to listen.

0114 253 6688

Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information